Register here to Participate In September 17 Briefing On New HIPAA Data Breach Rules
As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) is required to publicize the Health Information Technology Standards Committee (Committee) recommendations in the Federal Register and provide for public input.
During its August 20, 2009 meeting, ONC reports that the Committee’s recommendations focused on the following areas:
- Clinical Quality
- Clinical Operations
- Privacy and Security.
Individuals wishing to make comments on the Committee’s August 20, 2009, recommendations may present oral comments at the Committee’s next meeting on September 15, 2009, from approximately 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, 2500 Calvert Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20008. Comments will be limited to two (2) minutes per person.
All recommendations from the August 20, 2009 meeting may be found here. In addition, specific URLs for each recommendation have been listed below.
- Clinical Quality
The Clinical Quality recommendations pertain to the appropriate standardized performance measures that correspond to the HIT Policy Committee’s 2011 Meaningful Use Measures. The recommendations include 30 quality performance measures and the data types required for each, of which National Quality Forum (NQF)-endorsed measures can either be retooled for use in an Electronic Health Record (EHR) or will require attestation for the foreseeable future. The Clinical Recommendations of the Committee appear here.
- Clinical Operations
The Clinical Operations recommendations focus on standards for 2011 Meaningful Use, including quality data reporting, messaging formats, and all the vocabularies necessary for semantic interoperability. The Clinical Operations recommendations appear here.
- Privacy and Security
The Privacy and Security recommendations focus on authentication, authorization, auditing and secure data transmission standards as well as Meaningful Use measures related to HIPAA compliance. The Privacy & Security recommendations appear here.
A separate notice announcing this meeting has been published in the Federal Register and provides additional information.
Other Recent Developments
If you need assistance with auditing, updating or defending your organizations HIPAA and other privacy and data security practices, or addressing other HITECH Act or related health care matters, please contact Curran Tomko Tarski LLP Partner Cynthia Marcotte Stamer at (214) 270-2402 or via e-mail at CStamer@CTTLegal.com.
Register Now For Upcoming September Health Industry Update Programs
If you found this information of interest, you also may be interested in one of the following upcoming health industry programs to be presented by Ms. Stamer during September:
- How to Ensure That Your Organization Is In Compliance With Regulations Governing Discrimination — What You Should Be Doing To Be Prepared for the New, Stepped Up Enforcement Actions on September 10, 2009 hosted via teleconference by Health Resources Publishing
- Health Information Security & Data Breach Under HITECH Act on September 17, 2009 hosted via teleconference by the Health Care Compliance Association
To register or for other details about these and other upcoming programs and presentations by Ms. Stamer and other Curran Tomko Tarski members, see here.
Other Recent Developments
If you found this information of interest, you also may be interested in reviewing some of the following recent Health Care Updates available online by clicking on the article title:
- DEA Seeks Comments on Standardization of Code Number For Institutionally Based Practitioners Dispensing Controlled Substances
- Two Recent Criminal Prosecutions For HIPAA Privacy Rule Violations Signal Rising Criminal Enforcement Risks
- North Texas Healthcare Compliance Professional Association September 8 Meeting Covers Provider Outreach Activities, New Data Breach Rules.
- September Declared National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, 2009
- Pfizer To Pay $2.3 Billion For Fraudulent Marketing In Largest DOJ Health Care Fraud Settlement
- Maximum Penalty For Patient Protection Act Confidentiality Breaches To Rise To $11,000
- Health Care Providers & Other HIPAA Covered Entities Must Comply With New Data Breach Rules By September 24
- CDC Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee Schedules Teleconference on Draft Guideline for Prevention of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections 2008
- HHS Secretary Sebelius Announces Intent to Appoint Dr. Helene Gayle as Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS
- Border Health Care Study Sheds Some Light of Health Care Utilization, Needs & Costs
- Health Care Providers & Other HIPAA-Covered Entities & Their Business Associates Must Comply With New HHS Health Information Data Breach Rules By September 24
- HHS Issues Interim Final Requiring Health Care Provider, Health Plans & Other Covered Entities To Give Breach Notifications When Certain Personal Health Information Breached Beginning In September; Register to Participate In September 10th Briefing on New Rules In Person or Via Telephone
- CMS Publishes Updated FY 2010 Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System Final Rule
- House Democratic Leaders Work To Resolve Differences In Committee Versions of Health Care Reform Legislation and Build Public Support During August Recess
- HHS Hiring to Expand its Health Information Enforcement Team Again
- Reassignment of HIPAA Security Rule Enforcement Signals Growing Seriousness About Enforcing HIPAA
- Where To Read & Share Your Feedback About The Health Care Reform Legislation
- 25 States Awarded Grants Totaling $190 Million For Strategic Substance Abuse & Mental Health Strategic Prevention Planning
- Blue Dog Democrats Hold Key Voice On House Democrats Proposed Health Care Reform Plan; Contact Numbers Here
- August 31 Deadline To Comment On CMS Proposed Changes To Hospital, ASC Payment Rules
For More Information
We hope that this information is useful to you. If you need assistance with auditing or defending these or other health care compliance, risk management, transaction or operation concerns, please contact the author of this update, Curran Tomko Tarski LLP Health Practice Group Chair, Cynthia Marcotte Stamer, at (214) 270‑2402, firstname.lastname@example.org, Edwin J. Tomko at (214) 270-1405 or another Curran Tomko Tarski LLP Partner of your choice. Ms. Stamer has extensive experience advising clients and writes and speaks extensively on these and other health industry and other internal controls and risk management matters.
You can review other recent health care and internal controls resources and additional information about the health industry and other experience of Ms. Stamer here. If you or someone else you know would like to receive future updates about developments on these and other concerns, please be sure that we have your current contact information – including your preferred e-mail – by creating or updating your profile at here or e-mailing this information to email@example.com.
If you or someone else you know would like to receive future updates about developments on these and other concerns, please be sure that we have your current contact information – including your preferred e-mail – by creating or updating your profile at here or e-mailing this information here. To unsubscribe, e-mail here.
©2009 Cynthia Marcotte Stamer. All rights reserved.