How Medicare pays for outpatient dialysis services for Medicare beneficiaries who have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) is changing in January.
Final regulations published yesterday (August 12, 2010) by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services here will implement a case-mix adjusted bundled prospective payment system (PPS) for Medicare outpatient ESRD facilities beginning January 1, 2011 (ESRD PPS). The new reimbursement rules implement changes required by the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (MIPPA) enacted July 15, 2008. This ESRD PPS also replaces the current basic case-mix adjusted composite payment system and the methodologies for the reimbursement of separately billable outpatient ESRD services.
Concurrently, CMS also proposed new rules here that would establish a new quality incentive program (QIP) to promote high quality services in dialysis facilities by linking a facility’ s payments to performance standards. The QIP is the first pay-for-performance program in a Medicare fee-for-service payment system.
In anticipation of its administration of these new rules, CMS also followed up today (August 13, 2010) by inviting public comment on the Independent Renal Dialysis Facility Cost Report, through which CMS requires providers participating in the Medicare program to identify the specific items of cost and statistics of facility operation that independent renal dialysis facilities are required to report. See here.
Read more details here.
For More Information or Assistance
The author of this update, attorney Cynthia Marcotte Stamer, has extensive experience advising and assisting health care providers and other health industry clients with licensure, contracting, reimbursement, compliance, public policy, regulatory, staffing, and other operations and risk management matters. Ms. Stamer also regularly publishes and conducts training on these and other compliance, management and operations matters. You can get more information about her health industry experience here. If you need assistance with these or other compliance concerns, wish to inquire about arranging for compliance audit or training, or need legal representation on other matters please contact Ms. Stamer at (469) 767-8872 or via e-mail here. To review the regulations, see here. For a summary, see here.
Other Recent Developments
If you found this information of interest, you also may be interested in reviewing some of the following recent Updates available online by clicking on the article title:
- Rite Aid Agrees to Pay $1 Million to Settle HIPAA Privacy Case As OCR Moves To Tighten Privacy Rules
- HHS Invites Input On Medicaid Changes To Promote Children’s Health Quality
- New Affordable Care Act Mandated High Risk Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Pool Program Regulations Set Program Rules, Prohibit Plan Dumping of High Risk Members
- 2010 Health Plan Update: Learn What You Must Do Now To Meet Key 2010/2011 Affordable Care Act & Other Federal Health Plan Deadlines
- CMS Rule Clarifies When Outpatient Services Subject to 3-Day Rule & Finalizes FY 2011 Inpatient Payment Rates
- CMS Proposes Changes To Civil Monetary Penalty Rules For Nursing Homes
- Office of Civil Rights Proposes Changes To HIPAA Privacy, Security & Civil Sanctions Rules
- CMS Proposes Rules To Implement Affordable Care Act Required Expansion Of Medicare Preventive Services And Other 2011 Reimbursement Changes
- NCPDP SCRIPT 10.6 Approved As Medicare Part D/Advantage E-Prescribing Option
- Proposed Medicare Rules Will Require Hospitals Honor Patient Visitation Preferences
- IRS Invites Input On Application of New Tax Exemption Requirements For Hospital Organizations Added By Affordable Care Act
- OIG Touts Expanding Health Care Fraud Enforcement Success & Launches New Health Care Fraud Hotline
- HHS Invites Input on Proposed Strategic Framework on Multiple Chronic Conditions
- New Affordable Care Act Health Plan Appeals Regulations Require Health Plan Updates
- Blockbuster & Health Delivery Disability Discrimination Settlements Highlight Need For Tightened Disability Discrimination Risk Management
- Pennsylvania Nurses Vote For Union In NLRB Election Highlights Rising Union Organizing Activity In Health Care Industry
- WellPoint To Ban Coverage Rescissions Before Affordable Care Act Fall 2010 Deadline
- DEA/DOJ Release Interim Final E-Prescribing Rules
- Joint Commission Revises Medical Staff Bylaw Standard
- IRS To Allow Medical Resident FICA Refund Claims
- Rising Enforcement and Changing Rules Require Prompt Review & Update of Health Plan Privacy & Data Security Policies & Procedures
- Pfizer To Pay $2.3 Billion For Fraudulent Marketing In Largest DOJ Health Care Fraud Settlement
- Maximum Penalty For Patient Protection Act Confidentiality Breaches To Rise To $11,000
About Solutions Law Press
Solutions Law Press™ provides health industry and other risk management, legal compliance, management effectiveness and other resources, training and education on human resources, employee benefits, compensation, data security and privacy, health care, insurance, and other key compliance, risk management, internal controls and other key operational concerns. If you find this of interest, you also be interested reviewing some of our other Solutions Law Press resources available for review here. If you or someone else you know would like to receive future updates and notices about other upcoming Solutions Law Press events, please be sure that we have your current contact information – including your preferred e-mail- by creating or updating your profile at here. For important information concerning this communication click here.
©2010 Solutions Law Press. All rights reserved.